Sunday, February 13, 2011

Salsa and Sore Throats

My favorite part of Mexican dining is the chip-n-dip. More specifically I looooove salsa. I've already mastered my favorite green sauce/guacomole dip and it's a crowd favorite (perhaps I'll share that another time) so I thought I'd try my hand at salsa. It turned out to be surprisingly easy! Now I never have to be without my beloved appetizer...unless of course I don't have all the ingredients. Which happens a lot.

Most of the ingredients are things you probably have around the kitchen. As this was my second batch I had stored some of the materials in containers. But you'll need whole tomatoes, jalapenos, an onion, fresh cilantro, garlic, salt, pepper, cumin, and lime juice:

So normally I don't follow a recipe, I eye ball it. This may be why I'm a horrible cook, but nonetheless this recipe turns out great. Forgive me for my lack of exact measurements and for leaving an ingredient out (garlic). I'll put the recipe I semi-followed at the end.

First, I take some canned whole tomatoes. [I only had one can of tomatoes so I asked Stephen to pick some up. He at least got whole tomatoes, but he got the 14.5 oz can instead of the 28 oz can.  Two big cans or 1 big can and a small can seem to work just fine.] Fresh tomatoes would work as well but I would recommend plum tomatoes that have been skinned.


Then I gave them a little chop. Even though everything goes into the blender/food processor...a little chop, chop helps it grind better. Be careful....they're juicy!
Then I took about 1/2 a can of jalapenos. Some recipes call for green bell peppers instead, but I prefer the jalapenos. If you're feeling frisky and like a little hotness..you might even add in a little of the juice. If you don't like it to too hot, then don't add the seeds.
Onions! Of course this recipe calls for onions. They're a Mexican food staple. I used half of a large onion. White seems to be the preferred onion when it comes to salsa, but I'm sure any onion would work fine. Chop it up. You're chopping would probably look 10 times better than mine. Thank goodness it goes in the blender and looks don't matter!
Now for some fresh cilantro. I bought it in a bundle (its even organic) and now have more cilantro than I know what to do with! It smells terrible! I think a little goes a long with with cilantro, so take the leafy bits and chop a small amount.
I
Add all of this to a blender/food processor and then add in lime juice, salt, pepper, and cumin. What could be easier than that! (Notice beautiful Scentsy warmer in background to cover up awful cilantro smell :)


It's literally as easy as 1-2-3!!!!
It makes quite a bit of salsa so I store it in a large container.

The flavors get better the older the sauce gets. It all blends together wonderfully. Best served with El Milagro chips...or as well call them "Austin chips" as they are manufactured in Austin, TX. And if those aren't available serve with your favorite tortilla chip!


Delicioso! It would be even more delicious if I didn't have strep throat. I was feeling sickly all last week and by Friday I was struck with a terrible sore throat. I put aside my stubburnness and detest for doctors and went to the doc that afternoon. Turns out I have strep throat and some fluid in my ear causing pain. I used to get strep a lot as a child but have not had it in years. He gave me some antibiotics and I'm slowly starting to feel better. Not 100% yet, but glad to be a little better. Hoping I'll be well enough to eat my salsa tomorrow for lunch! :)

RECIPE
-3 cups chopped tomato (or canned)
-4 teaspoons chopped jalapeno
-1/2 cup green pepper (optional)
-1 cup onion
-2 cloves of garlic(which I totally forgot to add to my batch...oops)
-1/4 cup minced cilantro
-2 tablespoons lime juice
-1/2 teaspoon cumin
-1/2 teaspoon black pepper
-1/2 teaspoon salt

(PS. If you prefer your salsa less as a sauce, use the same ingredients and just mince/finely chop it all up and skip the blender.)

Enjoy!

No comments: